2008年4月26日土曜日

Japanese music

Before writing this time blog, I have one thing that I need to say. The one thing is that ...... As you know, We study Visual Anthropology in a class, but this topic is not related to visual, so I wonder whether I should write blog about this topic or not. However, I think this topic is maybe relevant to Anthropology, so please look over my this time topic!

In this time, I didn't hit on a good topic when I thought about what I wrote about in blog, so I checked other's blog and looked around my room to get any ideas. Finally I try to explain how much Japanese music receives influence from other countries' music The reason why I chose this topic was that I'm merely interested in this kind of things!




These days, there are a lot of Japanese songs that are sung by Japanese artists with English lyrics. When Japanese compose and write words for a song, I don't know why in detail, but they have a tendency to try to add English words by halves or write lyrics with all English. I think that Japanese music receives influence from the area where people speak with English, especially America. Therefore, I try to focus on the relationship between this country's music and Japanese music.


At first, before 1950, in Japan, American and UK musics were not pupular very much. After 1950, thses musics dramatically were popular there because the blues and folk songs were come from America and the other stuff related to music, such as musical movie and famous person. In that time, Japanese frist yearned for famous musicians who had long hair, and wore blue jeans like that. Through these things, American music gradually penetrated into Japanese music. Especially, punk rock music completely derived from American music. Now this kind of music is admitted by Japanese and punk rock song is admitted as one of the genres in Japan. However, until this kind of music was famous, it took a lot a lot of time. Why this king of music was famous is through Japanese punk rock band "Hi-Standard". At first, this band was also unpopular in Japan, but through that they went to America and go around there to perform his music, and finally this band was famous in America as well in Japan. Therefore, this band received the influence of American punk rock music, and they spread this goodness all over Japan! Second picture comes from http://kanpeki.inucara.net/search/Hi-STANDARD

1 件のコメント:

visual gonthros さんのコメント...

I think music is a valid topic for visual anthropology. Music videos are taken for granted now. I remember when everybody thought that video would kill the radio star... But sound and vision have come together in many important ways. Salvage ethnography entails the recording of audio as well. So you embarked upon an interesting topic this week in the visual anthropology of Japan.

I wonder if your history of western influenced music is a little brief. And most would argue that punk came from the U.K.

I think what you wanted to do, and what would have been more interesting if you actually did it, was to write about the band you like, Hi-Standard. Do they have any music videos?

Where is your second original photo?